Saturday, April 08, 2006

SA (mini update) - FT Robot

Note: If you are looking for the Nanaca Crash XBox announcement, click here.

Mini Post today! It's a robot! Its small! Its Cute! What is it? (I mean she?)

Takahashi-san, of Kyoto’s Robot Garage, is already famous worldwide as the creator of a series of high performance, and beautifully styled male robots including Chroino and Manoi. So what could he do to top that? Simple. How about a female robot that not only looks great, but also walks and moves just like a woman?

Takahashi’s latest creation has been dubbed “FT”, standing for female type, and no connection with the Financial Times out of the U.K.

...

What we do know is that the robot stands 35 centimeters tall, weighs about 800 grams, and has 23 degrees of freedom. The robots design incorporates the use of two separate gyrosensors. The robots basic structure is composed of advanced carbon fiber and plastic. On board power is supplied by a lithium polymer battery. (Robot-Dreams)


To counter the instability resulting from FT's slim-line figure, Robo Garage installed two sensors inside the robot that detect if it's starting to lean.

When activated, the sensors stop FT moving so that it can regain its balance.
Robo Garage got FT walking smoothly by extending its knees, and programmed it to walk and turn like a fashion model.

FT took 13 months to build and cost several million yen. (Mainichi)


It is very small by the way:



Update2!: Better video here!


Update: Video of walking can be found here!


You may also want to visit the creator's website for his other robots. Here are only a few samples below:




<< Return to the Front Page


9 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walks like a fashion model...only if the model is completely stoned.

"FT took 13 months to build and cost several million yen." I'd be asking for a refund.

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what the person above is talking about...
I just finished checking out many of the videos available at several of the websites... and I have to say Tomotaka Takahashi does some impressive work!
Let me tell you, MANOI goes for approx $1300 USD... and come June, I would glady buy one for myself!
Although I'm a little worried about the duty taxes :P

More info (in English) at...
http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/race/race_event/event/2005_prshow/robot02-e.html

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we watching the same video?

The one I seen (by following the link) shows a tiny robot with boobs (at least I think that's what they represent) growing from the top it's shoulders, lurching forward like it's imitating a bad copy of Frankensteins monster that has palsy.

Perhaps it's a good robot (depending on your definition of good) but a female fashion model - on what planet?

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Pocky said...

From an engineering standpoint, this is amazing though!

Just walking on two legs is hard enough for a robot, then you throw in this fashion model style walking on top (Essentially, unnecessary weight shifting)! Get back to me when you've finished a better robot kay?

:D

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try looking through some of the links there... the movements for MANOI, neon, and chroino are so smooth... I can't decide which one I want to buy...
Just because some people see one thing that is less then impressive doesn't mean it holds true for all.

Just long version of "One man's trash, is another mans treasure."
I would write something profound in Japanese... but I'm afraid it will be lost on the ignorant. >.<

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Get back to me when you've finished a better robot kay?"

No Problem. Give me 13 months and several million yen (50,000 Euros).

I'd say something sharp and precise in German, but I'm afraid some people might take that personally, instead of just as a comment on what I thought was a slightly over hyped toy.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Pocky said...

:DDDD *Gives anon 49,999 Euros*

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't like cutting corners on the budget, but I'll see what I can do!

 
At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the option to learn German in school...
but I opted for English instead.
I think I made the better choice :)

anon - "Are we watching the same video? "
I dunno? I DID post up a link of what I was looking at... "MANOI" doesn't sound too much like "FT"... I could be wrong... My English isn't very strong.

anon - "...instead of just as a comment on what I thought was a slightly over hyped toy."
anon "thought"... as in unaware or uninformed... ignorant.

40/62 responses Want to pre-order "FT"
13/62 might want to get "FT"
9/62 are creeped out by "FT"
Not bad for a sneek peek on a "slightly over hyped toy."

Just incase anyone else missed the link I put up... let me inform... the uninformed a little bit about Tomotaka Takahashi...

Robot Creator Tomotaka Takahashi,
Founder of Robo Garage (spin-off of Kyoto University)
■ RoboCup 2004 Lisbon: World Champion
■ RoboCup 2005 Osaka: World Champion
CHROINO was chosen as one of Time Magazine's "Coolest Inventions of 2004."

13months... So maybe we'll see anon's robot in the 2007 RoboCup?

 


Post a Comment

Hey I want to see more cool stuff!!

(Oldest) September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 (Most Recent)